Young hearts run free, and they’re driving the economic recovery

Hospitality survey staycation
Share this article

A younger demographic is leading the hospitality charge with 35 percent of adults drinking or eating out in first ten days of re-opening. But the remaining 65 percent of the population are non-returners keeping concerns about a recovery at a high.

 

Just over a third of English consumers returned to pubs, bars and restaurants, in the first ten days of reopening, according to a snap poll of 500 adults conducted by CGA.

The poll claims that 35 percent of adults in England had paid a visit to a licensed venue between 4 and 13 July, and that the charge was led by a younger demographic with 55 percent of 25 to 34 year-olds venturing out, and 46 percent of 18 to 24 year-olds.

With an average of 2.5 visits in the first ten days, the research shows that many of the early returners are quickly re-establishing the habit of regular visits. More than half of them have visited pubs (54 percent) – ahead of both restaurants (46 percent) and bars (26 percent). The data suggests there is a higher confidence factor for people wanting to drink than those seeking to dine out. There are also positive signs that returning consumers are going to continue in their pursuit of out of home hospitality with four in five planning another visit in either the next week (57 percent) or next fortnight (23 percent). This reflects operators’ early success in proving to consumers that they are in safe hands, with more than nine in ten visitors either very satisfied (80 percent) or satisfied (14 percent) with safety steps in the venues they visited.

Of the 65 percent of consumers who haven’t yet returned the most urgent priority is convincing the anxious majority that it is safe to do so. Nearly half (46 percent) of non-returners say they don’t feel safe in close proximity to strangers, and 41 percent don’t feel safe enough to venture out at all.


Share this article