The Gambling Commission has said that it has taken into account the recommendations of its independent advisory partner the Responsible Gambling Strategy Board (RSGB) ahead of the publication in April of a new National Strategy on the reduction of gambling harm.
Last December the regulator opened up a period of public consultation on the replacement for its current strategy, which was laid down by the RSGB in 2016. That particular document came in from some major criticism from industry observers – not least for being unfocussed, with 12 major areas of address being laid out in all.
Indeed, last year gambling consultancy firm Regulus Partner said that it was “highly unlikely” the strategy would be gauged by its authors as having been a success, claiming that “weak engagement with the industry at the outset meant that operators never considered it to be their strategy.”
Nevertheless, the consultation period on the Commission’s replacement strategy came to an end on February 15, and the regulator has said that the input it
received from the RGSB had been “fully welcomed” and would be “carefully considered.”
GC programme director Helen Rhodes added that the advice from the board constituted “a significant step to develop and launch a strategy to deliver the greatest possible impact to further reduce gambling harms.”
Meanwhile Sir Christopher Kelly, who heads up the RGSB, was fairly frank in his assessment of a raft of changes he saw as being necessary to correct the regulator’s long-term approach, claiming: “we have made clear in our advice…that we think success will require changes in mindset, partnership arrangements, in the approaches to prevention and implementation, and in funding.”