Having previous overridden Swansea Council to place Mumbles Pier’s redevelopment in limbo, the Welsh government has finally given it the go-ahead.
Plans to redevelop the Mumbles Pier headland and foreshore will not be called in by the Welsh Government, effectively giving the project the green light to go ahead.
In November it had been put in limbo when Welsh ministers intervened before Swansea Council’s planning committee met to determine the £35m scheme.
After reviewing the evidence, however, the Welsh Government concluded that despite opposition to the planned headland hotel rooms and foreshore flats, the council had adequately assessed the proposal, and that it did not raise any national security or “novel” planning issues.
A Swansea Council spokesman confirmed: “The Welsh Government has written to the council to confirm that it will not be calling in the proposal.
“This means that the council will proceed to grant planning permission in line with the committee’s decision.”
A post on the Mumbles Pier Project Facebook page celebrated the decision, stating:“We’ve had an early Christmas present. It’s been con- firmed that the Welsh government has decided against calling in the Mumbles Pier planning application.
“This is obviously great news for all concerned.A big thank you goes out to everyone who has supported this project.”
Owner Ameco has consistently said that revenue from the development would fund the ongoing restoration of the 120-year-old, Grade II-listed pier.
The headland and foreshore scheme had already obtained outline planning consent prior to the reserved matters application.
Swansea Council’s planning committee unanimously approved the application last month, but was unable to grant permission until the Welsh Government had finished its review.
A spokesperson for Ameco said:“Ameco is delighted that the situation between Welsh Government and Swansea Council has been resolved.
“This is an important step forward for every- one who wishes to see Mumbles Pier restored as part of a scheme that can rejuvenate Mumbles as a visitor destination.”
The Welsh Government letter dated December 12, while acknowledging the 331 letters of objection (counterbalanced by 333 letter of support), said:“As the principle of residential development has already been accepted it is considered the local planning authority has adequately assessed the proposal in terms of the reserved matters proposed.
“The application is not considered to raise issues of national security or novel planning issues. Having considered all the factors cumulatively it is concluded the decision should be taken by the local planning authority in this instance and the application should not be called in.”
In addition to the new hotel and apartment buildings, the development will also see a revamping of the pier’s pavilion, which houses its amusement arcade and coin-operated bowling lanes.