The collapse of an inflatable slide has led to one senior conservative politician calling for a temporary nationwide ban on inflatable attractions.
Eight children were injured after they fell from a slide in Woking Park, Surrey, last Saturday – after the attraction suddenly deflated.
All of the children have subsequently been released from hospital, but Tory MP for Harlow Robert Half on has drawn on the incident to renew a previous call for a temporary ban on bouncy castles and other inflatables,pending a comprehensive review of safety regulations.
“The government have got to have possibly a temporary ban on these things until we know for sure that they’re safe and no parent has to ever worry again,” he said.
As to the most recent incident, Joe Mercer, general secretary of the Showmen’s Guild, said:“ This slide has up-to-date test certificates and insurance documents [and] these have been provided to the police.”
The guild also confirmed that the slide had been taken away by the HSE for testing. Talking to the BBC after the weekend’s incident, Mercer added: “As the main trade association for the travelling fairground industry,safety is the number one priority for the Showmen’s Guild and it is central to the operation of our members within the industry and we are keen to learn all lessons from any incident however rarely it may occur.”