Staff of Caesars Arcade hailed for extinguishing fire

Coinslot - Great Yarmouth Caesars staff extinguishing fire
Share this article

The staff of Caesars Arcade, Hemsby, have been praised by the region’s fire service after extinguishing an electrical fire that broke out just before 2pm on 28 May while the attraction was busy with Bank Holiday customers.

 

Simon Mason, manager of Great Yarmouth fire station, who attended the emergency, said he was confident the quick-thinking “saved multi-million pounds worth of damage”, praising their high levels of health and safety training.

“I’m quite confident that had the staff not acted as swiftly as they did we would could have been facing a significant fire when we arrived at the scene”

Before firefighters arrived from Martham and Yarmouth just after 2.05pm, the staff put out the flames with a fire extinguisher preventing it spreading while others helped all the customers out of the arcade quickly and safely. No-one was injured or taken to hospital.

“I’m quite confident that had the staff not acted as swiftly as they did we would could have been facing a significant fire when we arrived at the scene,” explained Mason. “The staff did an excellent job in quite a stressful situation. The fire had been put out efficiently by staff. I’m confident they saved multi-million pounds worth of damage. Our message is to encourage all businesses and shop owners to make sure their staff are fully briefed on fire precautions.”

Mason added that the fire started in a light fitting in the ceiling which burnt a hole in the carpet and spread to one of the gaming machines.

“You could not see anything inside because the whole building was full of black smoke,” said James Gray, owner of Lost World Adventure Golf next door to Caesars. “Hats off to the staff though, people were evacuated and they dealt with it very well. I heard the fire extinguishers go off inside and I think they had it under control by the time the fire service arrived.”


Share this article