The Clevedon Amusements arcade has been left unscathed following a fire started in a nearby food van early on Monday morning.
An amusement arcade in Clevedon escaped without damage after a neighbouring snack van caught fire in the early hours on Monday 3 April.
The Avon Fire and Rescue Service received calls just after 5am alerting them to the blaze next to Clevedon Amusements on Elton Road.
The fire took the crews about an hour to extinguish and the van was destroyed as a result. According to an eyewitness, the fire started following a small explosion which set off the alarms at the nearby Clevedon Hall.
Emergency crew found the fire – believed to be accidental – had started in a business unit with a kitchen facility, thought to be the chip kiosk.
Fortunately, the fire did not spread to any neighbouring buildings and the arcade is expected to reopen shortly.
The incident highlights the risk of fire damage to arcades situated close to kitchen units. In 2008 the Weston- Super-Mare’s Grand Pier was destroyed by a fire which was started in a kitchen area containing deep fat fryers.
The pier reopened just over two years later after a £39m rebuild.